Fading (Piano Improv) Fading (Piano Improv)

You improvised this..? wow man, I was half way through this thinking "wow this is really well written" then I read the comments and find out it was improvised, and my mind exploded a bit.

Nice job

BlazingDragon responds:

To me, the trick to a good improv is knowing what will keep it from sounding like an improv. Haha. Here are some examples of what I mean:

-In my first minute or so of improvisation, I try to pick out a chunk of melodic material that I can repeat later.
-I think structurally. So after that first minute or so of improvisation, I intentionally try to do something that contrasts what proceeded to create more tension and interest.
-At some point, I quote earlier material. This makes so that the improvisation doesn't sound like a bunch of random, stitched-together ideas that jump all over the place. It makes it sound like a real composed piece with form and parts you might even be able to hum afterward.

Rather than think of this process as improv, it might be better to think of it as speed composing. The goal is to take the elements that make a memorable composition and consciously apply them to spontaneously created music. It also involves a good deal of thinking ahead while you are playing.

I also fall back on things I already know. For example, there are certain keys I'm very comfortable playing in, and there are certain chord progressions and left-hand accompaniment patterns I tend to fall back on. I've spent enough time consciously building a tool-set to draw from that I am able to focus on melody and not have to constantly start and stop. I'm getting better at doing this everyday. May next goal is to cut pauses and tempo fluctuations that come from my uncertainty about where to go next. I would like my improvisations to sound incredibly intentional.

So, that was probably a lot more info than you wanted, but hey, I enjoyed writing it! XD

Thank you so much for your review. :)

VAC9 - Double T Retail VAC9 - Double T Retail

Acting[50/50]
I think no one can comprehend how many tongue twisters you used.. That is so dang impressive you either have a really good tongue to avoid slipping up, or you practised the shit out of that, now that's commitment.

Range[20/25] - despite your amazing acting, you did have a few similarities in your voice, mainly the telemarketer and the guy at the sheet sweater warehouse

Fit[24/25]
Everyone's fit was perfect.. although the customers did sound a bit retarded.. probably intended for comedic effect

Mixing [19/20]
your mixing is perfect, crystal clear voices and great sound effects that aren't to loud or quiet

Originality[14/15]
I don't even know what to write...

Writing[12/15]
Although your story is simple, I see what you did here.. all your lines were simply set-ups for tongue twisters

Final Score: 139/150

Orchid Orchid

No reviews at all? well, guess I'll fill the gap

The melody is repetitive, but the sheer powerful mood and extra instrumentals easily pick up the slack, reading your comments I can see where you got the inspiration for a tune such as this, a shine of enlightening optimism after a sea of dark and morbid songs.

Nice job

An Evil Winter Story An Evil Winter Story

SimCorders "late" Judging

Arrgh... sorry about the late judgement guys, somehow I missed this entry when I went through the list.

Acting: 31/35
Fit: 21/25
Originality: 13/15
Range: 7/15
Mixing: 8/10

Total: 80

I'm impressed with how well acted your voices were. However the snowman's and the villains voice seemed a bit monotonous even though I could make out quite a bit of emotion. Another issue was the similarity in the voices of the hero and the narrator, but you put a lot of effort into this and it shows in the voices.

I'd probably call this story one of the most original, even though there were 2-3 other entries that had similar concepts (evil snowmen and evil plots) however, there isn't much you can do about that so I won't deduct much off originality.

as for sounds, they were pretty well done and quite clear, I particularly liked the gun sound effects, but it would of been amusing if there was a blow dryer in the
background when the snowman was getting melted.

All in all, this was an amusing entry, You got good voice acting potential, keep at it.

The Christmas Visitor The Christmas Visitor

OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!

Oh my god, the way you describe what happens.. I can almost see it.. oh god its frightening.

At first I thought the Australian Santa was just bad acting, but when they pointed out that Santa might sound like that, since no one actually knows what Santa sounds like, it all made sense. Nice job.

Christmas at Suezo's (Pt.1) Christmas at Suezo's (Pt.1)

Good use of context.

I tell ya, the way you threw context into the story gave it so much sense, at first I didn't realize that this story was a sci-fi until you the context came into view.

Voices are a bit staticish, but since I can make out the voices wih little to no effort, your score ain't going to suffer that much.

Dear Santa Dear Santa

A bit quiet.

Some good acting and voice diversity here. The only thing I want to point out is that this is very quiet. Its better to go loud rather then quiet since its usually easier to reduce volume then increase it on the listeners end.

As for the story, I like how it takes place in present day (with the war in Afgan still going on) and I never thought Santa could be so picky about religions.

Va Contest 6 Shockdingo W Va Contest 6 Shockdingo W

DANGIT! YOU GUYS DON"T MAKE IT EASY

Dangit why are there so many good entries in this contest, just makes my job so much harder...

This was hilarious, its so over the top. Its awesome.

Shock-Dingo responds:

Hehe, thanks man. I appreciate the kind words. Yea, I tried to push its insanity level as much as I could without it killing the story. I was a bit worried about it coming off coherent; I had to make some big revisions a few times and I felt this was the best version.

Thanks for the review! Take care!
-Shockdingo

Robert Frost talks of winter Robert Frost talks of winter

Man...

I have never thought winter could be so depressing...

Still, just wanna get this out there, for a submission that has to do with voice acting, strange how theres only 1 voice for 97% of the movie. A suggestion I could think of would have been when one of Mr Winter's family members died, there could of been a very brief skit for each one.

Still, decent story telling.

Zombie Apokalypse Zombie Apokalypse

Pretty well done, could be better though...

Since I am a fan of zombie games, I can definitely say you accomplished what you were trying to achieve in regards to the theme of this song.

However.. the song feels as though its lacking diversity, although the general tune of the chimes/bass give that good eerie tone to the song, you don't really have anything that gives a strong sense of horror. (you can disregard what I'm gonna say if that's not what you were aiming for) As for a way to improve that... well there's no obvious way, because adding more intense beats would probably make this song more cliche compared to similar songs of this category.

Never the less, you did a nice job composing this, it sticks out from the usual zombie apocalypse songs but still manages to have the same feeling.

Sefirot8 responds:

thanks for the feedback!

i think the best part is when the tribalish drums come in, you can just imagine having the credits roll in then when that part starts its perfect for some kinda event unfolding