UpUp Game UpUp Game

Simple game, fluid animation, and decent particle effects. I like it.

MURDER MURDER

This game is so simple and short.. YET WHY DO I KEEP COMING BACK!?

You Are Disabled You Are Disabled

Alright... beaten the game with all disabilities.. think its time I review it. Before I begin, I just want to say I enjoyed this game, while it was frustrating I do like a challenge.

Playing as Nearly Blind (this was my first disability playing the game)

I first started the game Nearly blind... it was indeed frustrating.. but at the same time it had its own unique challenges, even though I had to do a lot of trial and error, I found myself relying on a lot of other things like the sounds I heard in each level as well as what objects were in the foreground and background to help indicate what was coming up next. Making the pillars go all the way to the ceiling and/or floor probably made being blind beatable because I doubt there wouldn't be any real way of telling where platforms were going to be aside from just taking leaps of faith and hoping there's a platform at the end or halfway point of your jump (readers should take note of that last sentence).

My only compliant on being blind is with the disappearing blocks, although the initial patterns are easy to predict or figure out.. the remainder, especially at the end, can become infuriating because there's no way to tell that a block appeared behind you or pulled a juke. Note this was when I was playing the game for the first time, when I played the game with a different disability, I was able to memorize the pattern and beat it as a blind another day, however.. I feel I shouldn't have to resort to memorizing the level with another character with eye sight in order to beat the game with blindness, just my opinion though.

Playing as an illiterate

This I found rather easy... then again I was playing for the third time when I beat the game with this disability, however, anyone playing for the first time as an illiterate would probably be raging near the end of the game, when the signs actually give you useful/vital information. Which is the point I suppose, although annoying, being illiterate is still rather pleasant compared to other disabilities since with enough patience and not being blind, you can still figure out the patterns in a level on your own, and you don't have the burden of losing control or not being able to jump.

Playing as a Cripple

This was rather interesting, it was clear enough that playing as a cripple is more of a message to others about what its like to have a disability in real life then playing a game, Which I can respect given the motivation and context behind this.

Playing as a Spastic... god damn spastic

I played as a Spastic before and after you updated the game.. and I praise the fact that I now have at least some warning of when I'm gonna spaz out. Still... being a Spastic is more about luck then trying to keep your disability from killing you, as I kept dying because of spazzing to my death.. I couldn't help but wonder what real Spastics have to go through on a daily basis... jeebus it was annoying.. I don't really know what being a Spaz is like.. but I think updating the warnings to indicate whats going to happen when you spaz out would make playing Spastic a lot more skill based rather then relying on luck. (but if it doesn't reflect what a real Spastic has to go through, feel free to disregard this bit of info)

The Endings *POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR READERS*

I actually thought the ending room would be the same for everyone... but ugh... the guy changes the room to exploit your disability every time.. is it actually possible to make the right answer? the fact I made the wrong choice every time made me believe there is no right answer, but rather another demonstration about what its like for those with disabilities.

But what had me really curious was beating the game as a Spastic.. you don't get a choice, you just need to finish another jump puzzle... but when I make the final jump I freeze halfway... the fact the screen didn't shake indicates that its scripted to happen that way.... but my burning question is it actually possible to make that jump? Since there's a secret medal in the game I feel like it might be possible, but I can't really bring myself to restarting the game as a Spastic to find out if its scripted or not.

Final thoughts

Some people complain the game is more frustrating then fun. That's because this game is more about beating the challenges thrown at you then just simply giving entertainment; Some hate it, others enjoy it. While the game can be unfair.. Its certainly beatable, the level design accommodates being nearly blind very well with an exception for a few disappearing block puzzles. Although I wish Spastic was more balanced out along with Cripple having a bit more depth to it, its made clear that time constraints prevented this. The games got good idea's, and considering the time put in to making it, it was very well executed. I'm very curious about what this game could be like if you weren't forced into a 72 hour deadline... But the choice of making a sequel or expansion is the up to the developer.

The Children of Brinn The Children of Brinn

For a game that didn't have much interactivity (no offence intended) I found Children of Brinn to be very enjoyable. I put credit into the fact in how well the story and the characters are written out, their back stories match their personalities and experience/knowledge. Although the areas that you had to traverse through had several different outcomes, I can't help but feel that it was short lived, the best ending you can get (where entire party survives) is insanely easy and quick to finish, where as the hardest, would be if the only the berserker joins the party, mostly based on the fact that you have much more options and chances to screw up.

While I do like the variety of choices you have, I feel that its redundant to have any choice you make end in a complete wipe out, only diffrence is how badly. While I do find it interesting, I think you should at least have a chance of digging yourself out of the grave you stepped into, just with some injury or a more negative ending, your time would also be much better spent on investing it on branching the story into more pathways then into a short branch where you just die in a different manner.

On a personal note

I did see what you were hoping to do with this, but never got around too for time and what not, considering that everyone had an inventory (but only 40% of the characters get 1 item if ever)

In the cave as well, considering how well the Beserker or Guardian paths are written out, it seemed like you had something major planned for the original party, but cut it out for some reason, compared to the other stories it just seemed really lacking, but considering this was just an experiment, I'm willing to let it slide in score.

I hope to see if you have any more adventures planned for the Children of Brinn in the future

take care of the trees take care of the trees

This was certainly full of surprises, the title and beginning completely threw me off as to what would happen as you play through the game. The music and atmospheres are vibrant and happy looking, but don't get me wrong you did an excellent job flipping the lid when things get creepy. however there are a few plot holes...

*SPOILER*****

Such as when you come back to the cave to find your house burned down.. hows that possible when the brother comes up behind you in the cave? It would make sense if he was inside the cave but seriously what the heck?

And a theory if you care to respond.. was it the brother that drank all the medicine from that caravan? (thus causing him to go insane?)

Rebuild 2 Rebuild 2

A huge improvement

The additions and extra endings make this game so much funner. I loved every bit of it.

And just to let everyone know, starting up the church of the chosen ones is a good way to get happiness, BUT BE WARNED, if you kill the people who start resisting it, lets just say the newly established religion goes into the extreme. Which is never a good thing.

Guild Dungeons Guild Dungeons

AWESOME GAME! but ARGH! the trading..

The most annoying thing in this game though is the darn trading, I can see that you tried to combat this by allowing us to hold down the mouse button instead of just spamming. However that just won't cut it when you need to trade on such a gigantic scale to get certain upgrades or buildings completed why can't you trade in bulk? As others have stated I needed to spend countless minutes just waiting to trade enough resources just to buy the gold/silver I needed to spend another few minutes trading that for the resources I need.

The random events, though there cool are a bit too minor after the mid point of the game. I will admit though I probably didn't encounter all of them so I'll hold back on most of my judgement in regards to score. (I never did get to see a necromancy invasion)

A feature that I almost missed was the EXP, at first I thought it was pointless.. that is until I restarted the game, where my exp was converted into resources. Which made me smile since I was able to easily get back into the game, and not only that I was able to get resources which I was struggling to get during my first play though

Having your heroes leadership being affected by their training and environment is a genius trait that I've almost never seen on a flash game. This is something that I only see in retail RPG/Strategy games. Which also brings up a point. There should be quests where numbers and pure strength/luck shouldn't mean everything. There should also be missions that require stealth and/or specialized squadrons to get the job done and you can't rely on brute force alone to accomplish.

I know I got other suggestions on the brain.. but I can't put my finger on them.. I'll probably PM them later when I play through the game some more.

For a simple practice project for your programming, you have actually invented an extremely unique flash game here. I can't wait to see where you will take it.

Hyptosis responds:

Thank you so much for the feedback. I hope to one day revisit this in a more organized fashion. :P I know the trading is a pain in the butt, even buy large groups of units is too.

The King's League The King's League

Needs more diversity to keep things interesting

Games got a good idea going, except that its too easy after a certain point, based from what I've seen the game is all about strategy. However the game suffers the same fate as Final Fantasy tactics, you get an army of characters, but you only get to choose 4, which you make super super strong while the others are left in the dust. How could you fix this? well how about in certain battles you up or decrease the number of allowed soldiers? say in season 2 of the league battles, every 3rd battle requires the player to use 10 soldiers instead of 4 and in season 3 you gotta use 2 or 3. It would make for some interesting mix ups since I wouldn't be able to use my strategy of having my crusader tank everything with 2 archers while my cleric heals when I'm being rushed by 10 cavalry. Also, I didn't really see much point to using wizards since archers seem to be so much better at fighting at both melee and range. Perhaps wizards could cause random debuffs on whoever they hit? (damage over time, slowed attack/move speed, etc).

Another thing I'd like to suggest is when you get your warning on upcoming league battles. you should be able to see what kind troops your opponent has at their disposal so you can prepare accordingly for those opponents that give you quite a bit of trouble.

One last issue I'd like to cover is income. I've had to repeatedly restart my game due to the fact that I'd simply not have enough income to compete with my opponents, even when I've conquered all the possible territories I can grab with my current armies. Although the black market has a way of fixing this, it comes up far too late to give you any help aside from swapping gold for food so you can keep training. I'd suggest that since your troops can idle, how come we can't put them to work or something? It would also add some reason to have some troops in reserve, while your current squadron is fighting for you, the reserves are either training, resting or working to help make ends meet.

Aside from the flaws, the game had me going till the very end. I love the artwork and music you put into this. I hope to see more submissions by you.

Vector Stunt Vector Stunt

A problem with the flast conflict

Games good, having a level that adjusts to the song is pretty innovative. but theres a bit of a problem.. when you get that flash conflict message, one problem is how are you suppose to stop video ad's on NG without an ad blocker? Well the solution is simple, either dim the lights (which disables video ads) or play in a pop up. I'd suggest you point this out to avoid other complaints similar to this.

DigYourOwnGrave responds:

Thanks for pointing this out. I'll leave a note in the description. I didn't realize there were so many video ads on the page... what a drag :(

"-The Random Generator-" "-The Random Generator-"

LoL

"No one noticed when an undead blacksmith disappeared from the dragon"... wtf?

Didn't think I'd be playing this for more then 4 minutes. The colors and visuals mix pretty well too. nice job